About The Summit
Tivity Health is proud to present the second annual Connectivity Summit on Rural Aging this August 7th – 9th in Portland, Maine. This year’s summit, Reversing Social Isolation, will inspire a lively discussion around solutions to one of the country’s most pressing chronic conditions and public health crisis: Social isolation.
Joe Coughlin, PhD, Founder and Director of the MIT AgeLab, will moderate our session where the nation’s top experts and practitioners from business, academia, policymaking/government, non-profit, rural advocacy, and health care will converge to collaborate and prioritize ways to address issues around rural aging and social isolation. The summit will be convened by Donato Tramuto, CEO of Tivity Health, in collaboration with MIT AgeLab, the Jefferson College of Population Health, and Health eVillages.
This invite-only Summit will convene some of the nation’s top experts, practitioners, and stakeholders who play a critical role in reversing social isolation. Recent research and international attention to the matter reveals that social isolation is an epidemic, increasing the risk of mortality and other risk factors such as mobility loss, functional decline, and clinical dementia. While there is reason for broad concern about the impact of social isolation and loneliness across all demographics, there is great urgency to concentrate efforts on older adults, particularly those living in rural areas.
Your participation will be essential to our work investigating the challenges, opportunities, and concrete actions available to reverse social isolation in the United States. We look forward to you joining us.
Background and Research
- Bipartisan Policy Center: “Health & Community Policy Implications for Reversing Social Isolation,” July 2018.
- Wall Street Journal: “The Epidemic of Loneliness–and How to Combat It,” April 2018.
- Pew Research Center: “Key findings about American life in urban, suburban, and rural areas,” May 2018.
- National Academies of Sciences Engineering Medicine: “Achieving Rural Health Equity and Well-Being,” 2018.
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute: “What Works? Strategies to Improve Rural Health,” July 2016.
- National Institutes of Health & National Institute on Aging: “Seminar on Loneliness and Social Isolation,” June 2015.
- Departments of Health Development & Sociology, Cornell University: “Loneliness and Health in Older Adults: A Mini-Review and Synthesis,” April 2015.
Click on headshot to read their bio